Money Sayings and Quotes
Looking for inspiring money sayings?
I love putting money quotes on my fridge, white board and computer desktop and area. Just anywhere I walk by everyday. It not only motivates me to stay on track towards my financial goals. It makes me think differently about money, work and life.
Here’s one of my all-time favorite quotes that I printed off and have at my desk.
Every time I see it, it reminds me of my goals. To get out of the rat race, live a meaningful life and spend more time with my daughter.
It reinforces my action plan – to focus on increasing my passive income streams (like being a passive real estate investor) if I ever want to retire early.
Here’s a collection of 68 of my favorite finance sayings. As you’ll see, there are many Warren Buffett quotes!
There are also quotes from the best financial books I’ve read for beginners and other financial experts and geniuses!
If you’re interested in more quotes, I just put together a list of funny money quotes if you’re looking for a bit of a chuckle!
If you’re looking for inspiration in a particular area of personal finance, I’ve categorized the 68 quotes as follows:
- Financial literacy quotes
- Financial freedom quotes
- Making money quotes
- Making money through investing quotes
- Saving money quotes
- What ultimately matters (beyond money) quotes
Jump to the section you’re most interested in or read them all.
Below I’ve highlighted the ones I am particularly fond of.
Let me know which one you resonate with or like best in the comments!
68 Money Sayings
Financial literacy quotes
1. “It’s simple arithmetic: “Your income can grow only to the extent you do”.” – T. Harv Eker, author of Secrets of the Millionaire Mind: Mastering the Inner Game of Wealth
2. “Don’t tell me where your priorities are. Show me where you spend your money and I’ll tell you what they are.” – James W. Frick
3. “It’s not about money or connections. It’s the willingness to outwork and outlearn everyone.” – Mark Cuban
4. “You must gain control over your money or the lack of it will forever control you.” – Dave Ramsey, author of The Total Money Makeover
5. “If you live for having it all, what you have is never enough.” – Vicki Robin and Joe Dominguez in Your Money or Your Life (This is my favorite personal finance book of all time! Here’s a synopsis and full review if you’re interested.)
6. “Save one-third, live on one-third, and give away one-third.” – Angelina Jolie
7. “The rich invest in time. The poor invest in money.” – Warren Buffett
8. “It’s not how much money you make, but how much money you keep, how hard it works for you, and how many generations you keep it for.” – Robert Kiyosaki, author of Rich Dad Poor Dad (This book is what prompted me to invest in real estate. Here’s my full review of the book.)
9. “Formal education will make you a living; self-education will make you a fortune.” – Jim Rohn, author of the Twelve Pillars
10. “Rich people focus on opportunities. Poor people focus on obstacles.” – T. Harv Eker, author of Secrets of the Millionaire Mind: Mastering the Inner Game of Wealth
11. “I just sit in my office and read all day.” – Warren Buffett
12. “Know what you own, and know why you own it.” – Peter Lynch
13. “The single most important factor to getting rich is getting started, not being the smartest person in the room.” – Ramit Sethi, author of I will teach you to be rich
14. “The more you learn, the more you earn.” – Warren Buffett
15. “Risk comes from not knowing what you are doing.” – Warren Buffett
16. “Rule No. 1: Never lose money. Rule No. 2: Never forget Rule No. 1.” – Warren Buffett
17. “The rich cannot accumulate wealth without the co-operation of the poor in society.” – Mahatma Gandhi
Financial freedom quotes
18. “The goal isn’t more money. The goal is living life on your terms.” – Chris Brogan, author of The Impact Equation: Are You Making Things Happen or Just Making Noise?
19. “Wealth is not about having a lot of money; it’s about having a lot of options.” – Chris Rock
20. “Real wealth is not about money. Real wealth is: not having to go to meetings, not having to spend time with jerks, not being locked into status games, not feeling like you have to say ‘yes,’ not worrying about others claiming your time and energy. Real wealth is about freedom.” – James Clear, author of Atomic Habits: An Easy & Proven Way to Build Good Habits & Break Bad Ones
21. “Wealth is the ability to fully experience life.” – Henry David Thoreau
22. “More important than the how we achieve financial freedom, is the why. Find your reasons why you want to be free and wealthy.” – Robert Kiyosaki, author of Rich Dad Poor Dad
23. “Your economic security does not lie in your job; it lies in your own power to produce—to think, to learn, to create, to adapt. That’s true financial independence. It’s not having wealth; it’s having the power to produce wealth.” – Stephen Covey, author of The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People: Powerful Lessons in Personal Change
24. “To become financially independent you must turn part of your income into capital; turn capital into enterprise; turn enterprise into profit; turn profit into investment; and turn investment into financial independence.” – Jim Rohn, author of the Twelve Pillars
Making money quotes
25. “Making money isn’t hard in itself… What’s hard is to earn it doing something worth devoting one’s life to.” – Carlos Ruiz Zafón
26. “Making money is a common sense. It’s not rocket science. But unfortunately, when it comes to money, common sense is uncommon.” – Robert T. Kiyosaki, author of Rich Dad Poor Dad
27. “If you don’t find a way to make money while you sleep, you will work until you die.” – Warren Buffett
28. “You don’t get rich by spending your time to save money. You get rich by saving your time to make money.” – Naval Ravikant
29. “He sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.” – Dalai Lama
Making money through investing quotes
30. “The key to fast-tracking financial freedom is to make and invest as much money as early and frequently as you can.” – Grant Sabatier, author of Financial Freedom
31. “I will tell you the secret to getting rich on Wall Street. You try to be greedy when others are fearful. And you try to be fearful when others are greedy.” – Warren Buffett
32. “I never attempt to make money on the stock market. I buy on the assumption that they could close the market the next day and not reopen it for ten years.” – Warren Buffett
33. “If you have trouble imagining a 20% loss in the stock market, you shouldn’t be in stocks.” – John Bogle, author of Bogleheads Guide to Investing
34. “Investing isn’t about beating others at their game. It’s about controlling yourself at your own game.” – Benjamin Graham, author of The Intelligent Investor
35. “How many millionaires do you know who have become wealthy by investing in savings accounts? I rest my case.” – Robert G. Allen, author of Creating Wealth: Retire in Ten Years Using Allen’s Seven Principles
36. “The rich invest their money and spend what is left; the poor spend their money and invest what is left.” – Jim Rohn, author of the Twelve Pillars
37. “Never depend on single income. Make investment to create a second source.” – Warren Buffett
38. “Someone’s sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago.” – Warren Buffett
Saving money quotes
39. “The habit of saving is itself an education; it fosters every virtue, teaches self-denial, cultivates the sense of order, trains to forethought, and so broadens the mind.” – T.T. Munger
40. “Too many people spend money they earned..to buy things they don’t want..to impress people that they don’t like.” – Will Rogers
41. “A penny saved is a penny earned.” – Benjamin Franklin
42. “One of the most damaging misconceptions in personal finance is that saving for the future requires sacrifices today that lessen people’s enjoyment of life. Surprisingly, it’s quite the opposite! People who live within their means tend to be happier and less stressed. That’s not only true for the obvious reason – they know their futures look bright – but also because they are not consumed with consumption.” – David Chilton, author of The Wealthy Barber Returns
43. “If you buy things you don’t need, soon you will have to sell things you need.” – Warren Buffett
44. “I think frugality drives innovation, just like other constraints do.” – Jeff Bezos
45. “Advertising is the art of convincing people to spend money they don’t have for something they don’t need.” – Will Rogers
46. “Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination.” – Oscar Wilde
What ultimately matters (beyond money) quotes
47. “It’s good to have money and the things that money can buy, but it’s good, too, to check up once in a while and make sure that you haven’t lost the things that money can’t buy.” – George Lorimer
48. “Everyone wants to ride with you in the limo, but what you want is someone who will take the bus with you when the limo breaks down.” – Oprah Winfrey
49. “I think everybody should get rich and famous and do everything they ever dreamed of so they can see that it’s not the answer.” – Jim Carrey
50. “All the money you made will never buy back your soul.” – Bob Dylan
51. “Money is central, but it is also a teaching tool that uses the value of a dollar to instill in our children the values we want them to embrace. These traits—curiosity, patience, thrift, modesty, generosity, perseverance, and perspective.” – Ron Lieber, author of The Opposite of Spoiled (I love this book about how to teach children about money! Here’s a synopsis and review of the book. If you’re wondering about how to tackle tricky questions like “Mommy are we rich?”, this is a must read!)
52. “Be nice to nerds. Chances are you’ll end up working for one.” – Bill Gates
53. “If it’s only about money we are hopeless. If it’s about people we are hopeful.” – Maxime Lagacé
54. “There are two things people want more than sex and money… recognition and praise.” – Mary Kay Ash
55. “Money is something you trade your life energy for. You sell your time for money. It doesn’t matter that Ned over there sells his time for a hundred dollars and you sell yours for twenty dollars an hour. Ned’s money is irrelevant to you. The only real asset you have is your time. The hours of your life.” – Vicki Robin and Joe Dominguez, authors of Your Money or Your Life
56. “Good health, longevity, happiness, a loving family, self-reliance, fine friends … if you [have] five, you’re a rich man….” – Thomas J. Stanley, author of The Millionaire Next Door
57. “So many people of wealth understand much more about making and saving money than about using and enjoying it. They fail to live because they are always preparing to live.” – Alan Watts
58. “Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.” – Albert Einstein
59. “We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give.” – Winston Churchill
60. “I can understand wanting to have millions of dollars, there’s a certain freedom, meaningful freedom, that comes with that. But once you get much beyond that, I have to tell you, it’s the same hamburger.” – Bill Gates
61. “Friends and good manners will carry you where money won’t go.” – Margaret Walker
62. “It doesn’t matter about money; having it, not having it. Or having clothes, or not having them. You’re still left alone with yourself in the end.” – Billy Idol
63. “To give real service you must add something which cannot be bought or measured with money, and that is sincerity and integrity.” – Douglas Adams
64. “Money doesn’t make people happy. People make people happy.” – Steve Wynn
65. “Money and success don’t change people; they merely amplify what is already there.” – Will Smith
66. “Money never made a man happy yet, nor will it. The more a man has, the more he wants. Instead of filling a vacuum, it makes one.” – Benjamin Franklin
67. “The best way to become a billionaire is to help a billion people.” – Peter Diamandis
68. “You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity.” – Thomas Wolfe
69. “There’s plenty of money out there. They print more every day. But this ticket, there’s only five of them in the whole world, and that’s all there’s ever going to be. Only a dummy would give this up for something as common money. Are you a dummy?” – Roald Dahl
Final Thoughts on Money Quotes and Sayings
If you’re interested in more personal finance wisdom, here are the
- Best RATED personal finance books on Amazon
- Best SELLING books in the personal finance budgeting and money management topic on Amazon
To save money, you can listen to many of these books through Audible’s 30 day FREE trial, which gets you 2 FREE books! Audible, an Amazon company, has the world’s largest selection of digital audiobooks. Even if you cancel within the free trial period, the books are yours to keep!
Related Articles with Money Quotes:
- Funny Quotes about Money
- Rich Dad, Poor Dad Review
- Your Money or Your Life Review
- The Opposite of Spoiled Review
- Affirmations that will attract money into your life
- Self-Care Activities that are Quick and Easy
Enjoyed this post?