Tangerine Orange Key Promotion
You might be here because either:
1. You want to sign up for Tangerine and get up to $200 in free cash (depending on the current promo).
However, you don’t have an orange key referral to unlock the maximum amount of cash. You’re wondering:
How do you get the orange key for Tangerine?
The answer is: You need to get it from a current client.
If you’re looking for an orange key:
Another reason you might be here is because…
2. You heard about the orange key promotion, but:
- You don’t know how to sign up for an account or
- You need more information to confirm that it’s a good bank – that it’s safe and worth switching to.
If you’re in this boat, you’re not alone.
I’m writing this Tangerine Bank review because as I talk to more family and friends, I realized there’s still a lot of uncertainty and hesitation to use Tangerine because it’s not like traditional banks.
I have been using Tangerine since 2008 (when it was called ING DIRECT) and I have a lot of their products.
I love Tangerine because it’s cheaper than traditional banks and it’s easy to use.
In this post, I’m going to discuss:
- What’s Tangerine Bank
- Tangerine Bank Pros
- Tangerine Bank Cons
- Tangerine Products
- How to open a Tangerine bank account and get the orange key bonus
- Tangerine Refer a Friend Program
What is Tangerine Bank?
Tangerine was created in 1997 (as ING DIRECT Canada). I’m sorry to alienate my U.S. readers. Tangerine Bank is currently only available in Canada.
In 2012, Scotiabank acquired it and changed its name to Tangerine.
Why call it Tangerine?
Tangerine is simple, yet different as compared to traditional banks. This reflects how Tangerine operates.
Tangerine Bank doesn’t have branches. That doesn’t mean it’s more difficult to access and manage your money.
In fact, it’s easy. As Tangerine is owned by Scotiabank, you can access all Scotiabank ATMs in Canada at no cost.
Because it doesn’t have physical branches, Tangerine is able to not charge ridiculously high fees (like traditional banks) AND give you higher interest.
Here are the reasons why I bank with Tangerine:
Tangerine Bank Pros
- They charge $0 monthly fees for unlimited transactions on your accounts. This includes bill payments and pre-authorized payments etc. You don’t need a minimum $ amount like $1000 in your account to make it free.
- You get free email money transfers and they’re instantaneous (no lag time).
- They pay you more interest than a traditional bank. You earn interest on every dollar in your account.
- It’s easy to deposit your cash. You can deposit cheques through their mobile app. All you have to do is snap a photo of your cheque and enter in a few details!
- It’s easy to withdraw your cash. You get free access to all 3500+ Scotiabank ATMs in Canada and 44,000 ATMs (through Scotiabank’s global alliance) worldwide.
- They have Tangerine Cafes in major metropolitan areas: Downtown Toronto, Toronto North, Vancouver, Montreal, Calgary. If you want that in-person attention with your banking, you can drop by one of the cafes for help. I find contacting them over the phone much easier, speaking of which…
- The customer service is great. I’ve called a handful of times and have always been satisfied with how the calls went and the information they provided.
- It’s simple to use. The website is clean and easy to navigate.
- You get your first cheque book (50 cheques) for free. Additional cheque books are $50. Although you can probably get away with never having to use cheques like I have. Void cheques can be printed off.
- You can still access all of the benefits of a traditional bank. How? By connecting your Tangerine account to an account at a traditional bank. I do this. It’s easy to move money back and forth. I have a savings account at a traditional bank (which has $0 in monthly fees and 1 free transaction per month) that I use for this.
- There are tracking and categorization features. This is handy to see where your money is going so you can stay on top of your budgeting.
- Finally, one of the bigger pros for me – when you sign up for a new Tangerine account and enter a valid orange key (35762624S1), you can qualify for up to $200 in bonus cash.
Tangerine Bank Cons
- They don’t have brick and mortar locations. If you’re the type of person that likes going in person to do your banking and isn’t comfortable with online or mobile banking, Tangerine might not be for you.
- ATMs have daily withdrawal limits. If you have to regularly withdraw large amounts of cash (e.g. $1000+), you might have to wait an extra day before you can take all the money you need out. You can ask Tangerine if your limit can be raised.
- Bank drafts have to be delivered in the mail or sent to a Tangerine Cafe for pickup. There’s no certified cheque option. There is a work around solution. What I did when we needed a bank draft for a house purchase is transfer the money from my Tangerine account to the connected traditional bank account. Then I just went into the branch to create the bank draft.
- There are no wire transfers. Like bank drafts, if you have to do a wire transfer, just move the money from your Tangerine account to your traditional bank account.
- The US$ savings account is not user-friendly. It’s easier to just link your US$ Tangerine account to a US$ account at a traditional bank. That way you get the higher interest rates with Tangerine and the usability of easily depositing and withdrawing US money with the traditional bank.
Even though there are some cons, there are ways to get around them.
It’s definitely worthwhile to have a Tangerine savings or chequing account.
If you’re wondering what else Tangerine offers…
Tangerine Product Selection
Tangerine has a wide variety of products.
They have one chequing account and many different savings accounts including:
- Regular savings account
- Tax-free savings account
- RSP savings account
- US$ savings account
- RIF savings account
There are many other products including: GICs, Business Accounts, Investment Funds, Mortgage, Home Equity Line of Credit, RSP Loan, Line of Credit, RSPs, and RIFs.
Tangerine also has 2 different credit cards available: a cash back credit card and a world mastercard. There’s unlimited money-back monthly and no annual fee.
For the cash back credit card, you can earn 2% cash back on 2 categories including grocery, gas, recurring bill payments, restaurants, public transportation and parking etc. If you get your cash rewards deposited in your Tangerine savings account, you’ll get a 3rd 2% category.
For the world mastercard, you get the 2% cash back on 3 categories of your choice as well as travel rewards, access to 1 million Boingo wifi hotspots, on-demand and subscription services offers etc.
To learn more about their credit card offers, you can click here.
How do you open a Tangerine account and get the orange key bonus?
To signup for a Tangerine account, go to Tangerine.ca and click on “Sign Me Up” in the upper right hand corner.
Once you’ve selected “Sign Me Up”, you’ll see the below screen.
Before clicking “Start”, make sure you have your Social Insurance Number (SIN) and employment information handy as you’ll need them for the application.
If you’re signing up as a business, there’s a link on this page you can navigate to.
When you click “Start”, you’ll be directed to set up your profile.
Enter in your “Email” and “PIN”. Don’t forget to enter an active orange key so you can get the maximum cash bonus! Mine is 35762624S1.
After this screen, you will have to enter 2) Personal Info, 3) Address Info, and then 4) Review and Submit your information.
How long does it take to get the Tangerine bonus?
Once you’ve gone through all of the above steps, using an orange key, you will have to:
- Open a Tangerine chequing account and
- Deposit at least $250 by a certain date (depending on the promo)
Within 60 days of opening your chequing account, you will have to fulfill one of the below options:
- Have your first eligible payroll direct deposit go into your new Chequing Account or
- Have your first eligible recurring pre-authorized payments (e.g. cell phone bill, internet bill, auto insurance bill, home insurance bill, subscription services bill) to 2 payees taken from your new Chequing Account (they need to be at least $50 each).
Whichever option you choose (payroll direct deposits or recurring pre-authorized payments), you have to keep it going for at least 3 months in a row. Tangerine will put the cash bonus in your account after that.
Tangerine Refer A Friend Program
Once you sign up with Tangerine, you’ll get your own orange key.
You can then refer your friends and family to Tangerine. For every person you refer (who goes through the above steps), you’ll get $50 and the person you refer will also get a $50 bonus.
You can generate up to 3 referrals per year. The referral cap renews January 1st of every year.
Final Thoughts on the Tangerine Orange Key Promotion
I’ve been really happy with Tangerine over the years. I have many of their products. I plan to remain a customer of their’s unless a company with better products enters the marketplace.
The Tangerine orange key promotion is icing on the cake! It’s a fast and easy way to make some money.
If you’re looking for other ways to earn money quickly, I’ve posted an article on ways to make $100 fast.
Other Saving Money Resources
Here are some of my favorite resources for saving money:
Rakuten (formerly Ebates) is great because you can get up to 40% back for shopping online at over 2500 stores – many of which you would normally shop at like Amazon, eBay, Macy’s, Kohl’s, Walmart etc. It’s FREE to sign up.
For U.S. residents, Rakuten will give you a welcome bonus of $10 after making your first online purchase of $25 or more. For Canadians, it’s a $5 welcome bonus for signing up. You can read more about how to use Rakuten here!
Honey is an application that looks at the items in your cart and helps you search for coupon codes. If it finds relevant codes, it enters them automatically! You never have to search for coupon codes online again!
It also has other money saving features like cash back, price drop notifications, and a price history. It’s also FREE to use.
If you spend hours meal planning every week only to stress out some days and eat out, you might be interested in the $5 meal plan. For $5/month, they send you a weekly meal plan where every meal will cost approximately $2/person!
They save you time and money so that you can focus on doing things you enjoy like hanging with your kid!
They offer a 14 day FREE trial (approximately 40 recipes) – regular or gluten-free – that you can cancel at any time with no questions asked.
This membership has 2 great benefits: free 2 day shipping and free access to movies, TV shows, music and books. You no longer have to worry about last minute items. You can cancel your other movie, music and book subscription services.
You can also get 20% off diapers and baby food when you have more than 5 subscriptions.
Get the Amazon 30 day FREE trial here. You can cancel at anytime. No questions asked.
Related Saving Money Articles:
- 60+ fast ways to reduce your home utilities expenses
- 11 ways to quickly reduce your food expenses
- Honey app review: How to coupon without finding coupons
- Get FREE Starbucks Now using these 9 Clever Hacks
- Yard Sale Tips
- Capsule Wardrobe: How a Dress Code Can Change Your Financials
- Is EyeBuyDirect Good: My Experience Purchasing Glasses Online
- No Poo Method – How to Save Money on Shampoo
- How to Shop for Clothes on a Tight Budget
- Stay at Home Date Night Ideas that Are Romantic and Easy
- Where to get FREE furniture Today
- Budgeting Strategies and Tips for Beginners
Enjoyed this post?